Job Title: Laos Country Director
Location: Vientiane, Laos
Posting Date: 12/06/2017
Deadline Date: 01/05/2018
Starting Date: 03/01/2018
World Education, Inc. (WEI) has been operational in Lao PDR since 1992, working in a number of sectors including agriculture, education, health, drug addiction, and refugee repatriation over the past 25 years. World Education is dedicated to working through a participatory and multi-disciplinary approach to engage and empower communities, families, and individuals through programs in education, health, mine action, and economic development with disability and gender as cross-cutting issues as detailed below:
1. Mine Action: addressing the needs of unexploded ordnance (UXO) accident survivors and their families;
2. Health: strengthening the disability and rehabilitation sectors;
3. Education: coordinating a UXO education and awareness program in primary schools in 42 districts of nine provinces that are most heavily impacted by UXO;
4. Economic Development: managing a Women’s Entrepreneurial Center in Vientiane.
In implementing these activities, World Education works in partnership with relevant Government of Lao PDR agencies including the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and Sports, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, Ministry of Industry and Commerce, National Regulatory Authority and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Country Director is responsible for WEI representation with donors, program development, technical oversight of some projects and financial, administrative and leadership management of all country operations.
- Provide leadership to senior WEI staff to ensure technical oversight, planning, and sharing of project information.
Guide the strategic planning process and ensure WEI Laos projects are in keeping with the country office mission.
- Mentor and motivate staff while encouraging them to work productively and harmoniously.
- Coordinate regularly with funding agencies. This includes regular face to face meetings in-country, report writing and strategic planning to position WEI for future program opportunities.
Represent WEI with key stakeholders, including the U.S. Embassy and other diplomatic missions, and iNGOs for planning, coordination, and support for existing and new programs.
- Represent WEI with key staff of the Government of the Lao PDR; ensure effective dialogue with officials at the Central, Provincial, and District offices.
- Develop new programs with Lao counterparts and with World Education home office in response to needs in the Lao PDR. This includes proposal writing, budget development, and negotiating proposals with funding agencies.
Human Resource Management
- Assume responsibility for staff recruitment.
- Coordinate staff development opportunities for technical training and representation at meetings.
- Oversee financial system and reports, and coordinate monthly review of budget and expenditures with World Education home office.
- Oversee administrative system (personnel policies, salary structure, program assets and inventory, procurement, and sub-contracts).
- Communicate and coordinate with home office regarding strategies for present and future programs, staffing issues, compliance and legal issues.
2. Proven leadership skills and prior experience of at least five years in managing a country program or large development project.
3. Excellent stakeholder engagement and management capabilities.
4. Demonstrated fundraising skills with prior experience in engaging donors.
5. An advanced degree in international development or related sector with relevant experience.
6. Technical expertise in at least one of the country program areas (education, mine action, health, and/or economic development)
7. Ability and willingness to travel frequently to field sites.
8. Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
9. Able to work closely and collaboratively with a senior management team, with regular supportive communication.
10. Strong facilitation skills for multi stakeholder workshops and meetings.
Please provide a resume/CV and a letter of interest, stressing qualifications, availability date, and the names and email addresses of at least three professional references, including one reference from a person you have supervised. Due date for applications is 5 January 2018. Please note that applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be filled before the due date.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 01/05/2018.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.
World Education is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
If you are an individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and unable to apply online for an available position, you may submit your request for reasonable accommodation by calling Human Resources at 617-482-9485.