Work for Us
This job is no longer available.
Job Title: Country Director - World Education Thailand
Posting Date: 11/26/2012
The Country Director has responsibility for technical, representational, administrative, and fiscal management of World Education’s programs in Thailand. World Education improves access to and quality of education to displaced persons from Burma living on both sides of the Thailand-Burma border. The majority of World Education’s work is implemented through the Project for Local Empowerment (PLE), a USAID-funded project in collaboration with the International Rescue Committee (IRC). World Education is responsible for the education component of the project, which includes providing support for programs focused on youth leadership, teacher training, curriculum development, capacity building of local organizations, integration with Thai public schools, children with disabilities, and programming in eastern Burma. The project is implemented through working with local organizations that coordinate the education of refugee, migrant, and other displaced Burmese children. The Country Director reports to the Senior Program Officer of World Education in Boston and the position is based in Mae Sot, Thailand.
- Provide effective leadership, vision, and strategic oversight at all levels of programming
- Supervise and support World Education staff, including oversight of recruitment, annual reviews, and professional development.
- Communicate regularly and coordinate with home office regarding strategies for present and future programs, staffing issues, and legal issues.
- Work closely with the Finance Director to develop and monitor the budget and resources and ensure compliance with fiscal and administrative policies
- Work in partnership with IRC to ensure compliance with project requirements and USAID regulations
- Design appropriate tools and manage the collection of appropriate information to assess results and make management decisions
- Develop and ensure implementation of project workplan, including defining activities and setting targets consistent with project objectives.
- Contribute to the strategic planning efforts with IRC in cross sectoral and cross border programming
- Develop plans to build capacity of local partner organizations
- Coordinate and network with external stakeholders, including government, local and international NGOs and CBOs, donors, other implementing agencies
- Initiate and carry out program development for World Education programs on the Thailand-Burma border.
- Strategic planning skills
- Experience working in a developing country, preferably in Southeast Asia
- Experience and skills in facilitation and training
- A degree in education and/or relevant experience managing education programs.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently
- Successful experience in senior program management position for at least four years
- Ability to work closely with a management team, with regular supportive communication
- Cross-cultural communication and management skills
Salary commensurate with experience.
WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action
Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing
equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees
without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed,
religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation,
sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or
military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in
any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
If you are an individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and
unable to apply online for an available position, you may submit your
request for reasonable accommodation by calling Human Resources at 617-482-9485.
Back to top
Return to Job Listings